In the latest versions of Windows there is a problem with drivers that slow down the operating system and are overrun. There are several fixes for Windows 100% disk usage issue, but you need to follow the methods below.
Check the following steps one by one by checking the disk usage in Task Manager every time .
Note: Keep in mindthat even if you find a solution, Windows Update may reset the changes you’ve made. If it is reset, repeat the solution you applied.
Step 1: Disable Windows Search for Enhanced Disk Performance
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del and select Task Manager .
- Come to the Services section , find and select Windows Search .
- Then click the Open Services tab.
- In the screen that appears , find Windows Search and right click on Properties .
- Set the start type to Disabled .
Step 2: Scan Drive for Error Checking
- Select Computer , then identify your hard drive.
- C: ‘to right click and Properties choose . Here, find the Tools tab.
- Under Error checking, click Check .
- In the window that opens, click Scan drive . Wait while the system scans the drive; A reboot may be required for full disk repair.
Step 3: Check Your PC with Anti-Virus Software
As with this type of performance issue, the first thing to do is to check your computer is not infected with malware.
Your computer Windows Defender to scan full or at least Malwarebytes Anti-Malware tools such as scan your system drive, and must be able to detect any problems.
If threats are found, use the software’s suggestions to remove them and restart. Next, check your drive’s performance.
Step 4: Prevent Flash from running in Google Chrome
It seems to be one of the most common reasons for 100% disk usage issue on Windows if you are using Flash in Google Chrome browser .
- Click on the top 3 dots in Chrome and go to Settings .
- Press Advanced at the bottom .
Go to the Site Settings option under the Privacy and security tab .
- Find and click Flash . Under the Your Flash settings will be kept until you exit Chrome tab, select the option Prevent sites from running Flash (recommended) .
Step 5: Resolving the StorAHCI.sys Software error
Some drivers do not work as they should in Windows 10. One of the problems that were discovered to cause 100% disk usage is the software bug StorAHCI.sys driver.
- Computer ‘ a right-click , then Manage> Device Manager , click.
- Expand IDE ATA / ATAPI Controllers .
- If an AHCI Controller entry is listed, double-click it, then open the Driver tab and select Driver Details .
Drive C: \ Windows \ system32 \ DRIVERS \ storahci.sys as been listed ?
If so, you may be affected by this error.
- Close the driver details box and switch to the Details tab
- By selecting the Device instance path under the Properties tab . Right-click where the value is listed at the bottom and select Copy . Launch your text editor (like Notepad) and paste its contents .
- Then, Win + R , press the button and type regedit , and then OK button.
- Go to this address: Computer \ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Enum \ PCI \
- And use the string you pasted in the notebook followed by the number to open the correct AHCI Controller under the PCI menu .
- Here, expand Device Parameters \ Interrupt Management \ MessageSignaledInterruptProperties and you should see MSIS in the right pane . Double-click it, then the Value data ‘ 0′ Change . Click OK to confirm and apply the instructions for restarting Windows .
Step 6: Disable Diagnostic Tracking in Windows 10
A feature that you may have otherwise disabled for privacy reasons has exposed 100% disk usage issue on many computers.
When it comes to reducing hard disk drive usage, it might be better to disable the DiagTrack service . If this is the source of the 100% disk usage error in Windows 10, you can stop the DiagTrack service from starting.
To do this, you need to access Command Prompt as an administrator .
- Click Start and type cmd in the search box . At the top the Command Prompt ‘ n Run as administrator to open choosing.
To disable and stop DiagTrack;
Copy sc config "DiagTrack" start = disabled Command and
Paste it in the command prompt with the Mouse Right key and press Enter.
Then copy this sc stop "DiagTrack" command and paste it in the same way and hit Enter.
- You can also go to Start> Settings> System> Notifications & actions ,
disable tips, tricks, and suggestions while using Windows.
Step 7: Windows Update Can Cause 100% Disk Usage
Apart from affecting the changes you make to your PC while fixing the 100% disk usage issue, Windows Update could also be a reason for it.
This usually happens only when Windows Update has a problem (usually due to a file refusing to download). You have two options here:
- Free your computer ; Close all your open applications and wait. Eventually the files are downloaded, but depending on how Windows Update is scheduled on your computer, it may need to be restarted.
- Turn off your computer, once done, restart and wait for Windows Update to fix the problem .